2008-06-17

WWC - Chaos & Mystery

Tuesday means Weekly Word Challenge! Hosted by the ever-popular Tink over at Pickled Beef. Drop by her blog if you would like to join in the fun. This week I have a poor showing, but I hope it will still amuse you. The words this week are CHAOS & MYSTERY! Not easy subjects, I tell ya!

Wikipedia has this to say about Chaos: "The word χάος did not mean "disorder" in classical-period ancient Greece. It meant "the primal emptiness, space"" and this: "it means "gaping void", from the verb χαίνω "gape, be wide open, etc","


So, with that in mind, I looked to my purse for inspiration, when you try to find anything in there it certainly seems to be a gaping void, or maybe a black hole.



I though this black bag looked like a gaping void as well.



Of course, I did find some books with the word in their title.



And for the modern take, here is a bit of disorder.

Which could also answer the mystery photo, because, I'm not sure what is in some of those boxes.



On to MYSTERY.

What better represents mystery than novels?


Well, how about a few jigsaw puzzles.



And of course, why would this have been made and what is it doing in my possession?



This last picture is in fact a "stress" toy, in the shape of lungs, supplied to my pharmacist by the distributor/sales rep for NicoDerm/nicorette. I let him give it to me simply because it is funny and I could then take a photo and show it to the rest of you. Now, it will go into recycle, because I don't need anymore junk hanging around as you can tell by the condition of my storage room.


As always, a reminder that we have formed a group on Flickr for the WWC where you can go to see more interpretations of the words. My Flickr site is here. If you enjoyed my photos, why don't you consider joining us?

Have a Good Day all.

24 comments:

Leah J. Utas said...

Excellent work again.
Looking to ancient Greece for the original meaning of chaos is exactly what I expected you to do.
And I'm absolutely tickled you did it.
Lung stress toys. Oh, my.

gary rith said...

LUNGS! Looks a little, um, lewd, until you you say it is lungs!

the Bag Lady said...

Good work, sis.
If I had known you needed photos of chaos, I could have helped you out...lots of that around my house!!!

Loved the lungs. Wish I could believe my own were that pink and healthy...

g-man said...

Nicely done!! squishy lungs, we should all have one of those.

Reb said...

Leah,I'm glad you are tickled!

Gary, I though I'd better say what they were.

Sis, thanks, I actually have lots of chaos around my place too. Yes, me too.

G-man, thanks, whats your addy, I'll send them to you!

Anonymous said...

Reb, you are one creative cookie!! Wonderful work!

Chatty said...

Oh, the picture of the gaping maw of your purse cracked me up - all of mine start out like that, and then I fill them up, and it's a mystery as to what the heck I put in there to make them weigh so much! And hey - I love that you do research like I do - it's a blessing AND a curse, isn't it? Satisfying, but oh, so time-comsuming. And, we read the same mysteries!

Reb said...

Kcinnova, thanks!

Chatty, yes that research can be dangerous - it leads all sorts of places!

Dianne said...

How did you get into my basement to take those photos!? and what is in those boxes, I've been moving them around for years!

great take on both words.

my purse is chaos and mystery.

Reb said...

Dianne, I have been moving these boxes for years too! I suspect though that your basement is a wee bit bigger than my storage room. ;)

Janet said...

LUNGS!!!

Reb said...

Janet - I KNOW! lol

Jay said...

Sorry I'm so late getting around today.

Very original take on "chaos." Well done!

Earlier in the week I thought about taking pics of mystery books and then totally forgot. LOL

Great job on the WWC!

Reb said...

Oh, I know how that goes some days Jay. Thanks, I've had to start making a list of the ideas as I get them.

Tink said...

I think all purses are black holes, aren't they? Even the small ones. I think that's a standard feature nowadays. ;)

Emily said...

The picture game seems really neat- too bad it takes me weeks to upload pictures once I take them!

I wanted to ask you about the novels with "Chaos" in the title- are those your books? I am starting to read fantasy fiction and those novels look like something I might want to check out- do they come with any sort of recommendation?

Alice said...

hee, i love how many people used mystery novels... that thought did not occur to me even once! eesh :-)

those lungs are oddly creepy...

Aunt Jackie said...

Wonderful entries for this week!! Fantastico! I am adding a few of the WWC bloggers to my blogroll so I can access easily...

Kudos! :)

AJ

Reb said...

Tink,you are right about that!

Emily, oh, yes! The Robert Jordan book is the 6th of a very long series of very fat books, so you might want to start with the other though. It is the sequel though to one written by her (Josepha Sherman) and Mercedes Lackey called "Castle of Deception". They are part of The Bard's Tale Series, but don't really need to be read in order. So, there you have three authors that are very good. If you want more, just email me, I would be glad to recommend more.

Reb said...

Alice, thanks, I couldn't even think of anything else. They are creepy aren't they?

Aunt J, thanks! I did that a while ago, then you find yourself checking them out at other times too. Before you know it you are spending way too much time at the 'puter. (like I don't already)

Knight said...

Ha, love the lungs. Very unusual.

Reb said...

Thanks Knight, I thought they would get a laugh.

Jo said...

You know, squeezing those lungs would probably stress me out :)

I love your "gaping void" interpretation! Very funny, Reb.

Reb said...

Jo, yes, they are a bit creepy! Thanks.