2009-01-07

The wonderful world of Blogosphere

I am amazed at how small the world is when you blog.

As I mentioned in my post on Tuesday, Travis Erwin's house burned to the ground on Sunday. Fortunately no-one in the family was hurt, but they have lost everything. A couple of other bloggers have set up a web site Habitat for Travis for anyone that would like to help out.

My reaction after I read his post on Monday was simply shock, followed quickly by relief that he and his family were all safe. Of course, then my mind started in on the "what can I do" wheel. I have barely enough money to get through a month at the best of times, so, "I can bake" - unfortunately Edmonton Transit doesn't make any stops in Amarillo, Texas. "I could send some things: clothes, blankets" - yeah and that would take weeks and cost how much and I am sure that local people will have already covered those needs by the time it gets there.

It wasn't until I had thrown out all of the usual ideas that it occurred to me, this is a person you met on-line, he lives in Texas. There really isn't much you can do from this far away. So, that kind of made me a bit depressed. I am very glad that this website has been set up and I think I will be able to send along a few dollars, maybe not enough to buy a brick, but houses have corners and need 1/2 bricks too.

So, my best to Travis and family, I wish there was more I could do for you.

For the rest of my blog family, thanks for being you.

20 comments:

Dianne said...

I read about the fire on Hilary's blog and I went over to offer some words of support

someone suggested he develop a wish list and post it on Amazon

that way folks could order something they could afford and Amazon could do the shipping

I thought it was a great idea - he had mentioned the kids need their books back

we're all such a community!

Reb said...

Dianne, I was just over there. We are such a community, it is rather wonderful.

Hilary said...

There are several links to Habitat now.. thanks for letting me know about Travis' situation to begin with. And you're right. The request is for increments of $25, but every little bit counts. Including the supportive words.

Leah J. Utas said...

Words and wishes out to the Universe help too.

Reb said...

Hilary, I am amazed everyday about how wonderful the blogworld is. This just brings it home.

Leah, yes they certainly do.

Missicat said...

What a great thing...will try to help as best I can!!

Reb said...

Thanks Missicat. Today's post on his site gives more details and mentions what his boys like.

Emily said...

Oh wow, that does make me feel good to know the internet buddies care enough to do something like that. I may not be able to send anything financially, but I can keep them in prayer!

Reb said...

Emily, that works just as well.

Anonymous said...

I hope that he does make a wish list on Amazon. In the meantime, I plan to gather a few goodies up for his boys.

This is such a beautiful example of why I love the blogging community.

Hugs to you and Hilary and all those out there raising awareness. I wouldn't have known about Travis and his situation without you, so you HAVE been helping, by spreading the word. Thank you, Reb.

the Bag Lady said...

Every little bit helps, even if it is just our words to let him know how many lives he has touched!

The blogosphere is a wonderful community!

Reb said...

Kcinnova, thanks for your kind words. I am going to see if I don't have a few books the boys might enjoy.

Sis, that's for sure. He has touched many lives and this is a great community we are a small part of.

Clare2e said...

I was going to say the same as other commenters. Good wishes come with their own postage, and I'm convinced they help. Just knowing so many people give a rat's ass can help you feel less alone, pardon my Trucker. We put the Travistat link up, too : )

Reb said...

Clare, it certainly does help. I don't mind Trucker, I'm probably worse! ;)

Tink said...

How sad! I'm just so glad the family was OK though. I hope he posts an Amazon list with books. I would love to contribute to that. My prayers and thoughts go out to them.

Crabby McSlacker said...

I was so sorry to hear about the fire! The blogging community is great, isn't it? Not only for emotional but sometimes even practical support.

Britta Coleman said...

It's amazing how the blogosphere can pull together and help out. I think we all felt helpless (how can you not?) but to know we're doing something concrete for a member of our community is wonderful.

Reb said...

Tink, it is terribly sad, but still are so many things to be grateful for. I think the Amazon list is a great idea too.

Crabby,it is a wonderful community.

Britta, it is amazing! And the number of people that are willing to do something no matter how big or small is wonderful.

Barbara Martin said...

Reb, it's your caring that's enough. The vibrations go where they're needed. I'm short too after being off work for over four months due to an injury, and now I have to go on EI.

The blogsphere is such a great community place with interaction in mere seconds.

Reb said...

Barbara, it is at that! Hope everything works out for you!