2009-01-16

January thaw!

As a wee break from the awful temperatures we suffer through up here in the north, we get blessed with a January thaw. Right now it is 5 C (42 F) tomorrow it is supposed to be 11C (51F). The city is out and about removing as much snow as they possibly can, but the roads will still be slushy and will freeze overnight to horrible ruts. The wind shield washers on cars will get lots of use in the next few days and it gives us an opportunity to air out the domiciles. It gives us promise of spring to come. It breaks up the cabin fever a bit. Of course, then comes February, but we don't want to go there yet.

In other news, is anyone else becoming frustrated with Bloggers inability to keep the side bar links up to date? I just got the change for one of my links, but the post was two days ago! That is getting annoying.

My new cpu is running Vista - of course! I have managed to get rid of the annoying message asking me if I want to do what I just told it to do - how stupid is that message anyway? "Are you sure you want to access the internet, it is a scary place and you might get infanaminamity!" Well, that might be a stretch, but, if I didn't want to do these things, I wouldn't have clicked the damned icon - if I clicked in error, I am smart enough to close the window too! Even people that don't have much in the way of computer knowledge will close a window if it isn't where they wanted to go.

Of course, it has changed the way Firefox works...I have to investigate and see if I can get it working the way I want it to. Right now, it is not saving any settings so I have to log in everytime I relaunch. Oh well, I will get it sorted out. In the meantime, I will just swear and curse at it ;)

I guess that's it, I am going to go and enjoy our bit of warmth. Have a great weekend all!

11 comments:

Leah J. Utas said...

Ah, winter driving in Edmonton. Does it get any better than that?
Sorry to hear your new CPU is taking you to new vistas. I'm sure you'll get it sorted out. Meanwhile, if cursing, cussing, and swearing solved our problems, then we would have any and what fun would that be?
Oh, and the Intrachoobzes scares me and always will. Some windows just don't close fast enough.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

you said it, blooger plays all kinds of games, and why are we so much colder than you????????

Anonymous said...

Oooh, it's warm there!

I hate it when there are changes on my computer. I have a feed bar on the side when I use Flock as my browser, but it doesn't always update quickly, either.

Reb said...

Leah, there are times I appreciate not having a car - few & far between, but there are times.

Gary, just lucky I guess?

Kcinnova, yep and we are loving every minute of it. I'll get used to it quickly enough, I just have no patience.

the Bag Lady said...

This weather is great, isn't it? Of course, it probably won't last, so we'll enjoy it while it's here!

Good luck with your new 'puter - I'm sure you'll get accustomed to it in no time!

Reb said...

Sis, I just love it when it is warm. I am sure I will.

fiwa said...

Hi - I'm just popping over from Jay's blog to say hello. I saw you comment about a recipe for chicken with bacon gravy.... yum....

Any chance you might post the recipe?

fiwa

Reb said...

I just might do that Fiwa! Thanks for dropping by.

Hilary said...

Sure.. enjoy the warmth while we endure your cold. Winter.. it lingers too long. I hope your computer woes don't though.

Reb said...

Hilary, you'll be basking in warmth while we are in the deep freeze again before long. That is the way is seems to go.

Barbara Martin said...

Gary, doesn't know about chinooks. Eastern Canada or the U.S. are not fortunate to get them. Oh, well. Enjoy your chinook: little blessings in disguise.