2008-03-11

You would think I would learn!

There are four buildings in the apartment complex where I live (and work part time) and I walk between the buildings on a regular basis. Working at the office part time gives me access to all the buildings and round about June last year, I tripped on the speed bump between two of the buildings. I tripped lengthwise to the speed bump, so landed straddling it and smacked myself in the face. I dented my forehead, skewed my glasses and had wonderful bruises all over and tore the glove that I wear on my right hand because of the lymphoedema.

The boss is off enjoying her head cold in the Baja (which she passed on before she left) and as a result I am left in charge which means I am working full time hours. Well on Sunday, I was taking a prospective tenant to view a suite and damned if I didn't do it again, crosswise. This time it was a different bump, one that I have to walk over to go to the bus, the office, um, pretty much anywhere AND I WALK OVER IT EVERY DAY! Oh and I have lived here for four or so years!

The direction we were headed was also slightly uphill, so I had no hope in hell of not falling. I carry most of my weight in my belly, so am front heavy anyway. I can't even blame it on snow as it has mostly melted on the roadways, in fact the bump is dry, of course, I landed in the melt coming off of the grass. Drove gravel and tiny bits of glass into one hand and skinned the elbow and baby finger on the arm that I am not supposed to get a needle stick in, or a hang nail because of the potential for infection. Not to mention knocked a few vertebra out of place.

The poor girls I was taking to show the suite to. They were all "OMG, is there someone we can call?" "Are you going to be alright?" and so on. They were very kind not to laugh and I am sure it was funny as hell to watch. Once I got my breath back, I told them I was fine, just a fat klutz and then we went and looked at the suite.

That night, I decided that I had better do at least one set of the exercises I had been doing and see if I could do some stretching for my back. This went well, I actually felt pretty good by the time I went to bed and much better when I got up. Well, as yesterday progressed and I started to cough, all of the muscles I have been working in my belly decided that coughing on top of the abuse they had gotten Sunday was just too much. By the time I went to bed last night, if I didn't know better, I would have said that I had dislocated my uterus! OMG I was sore. All I can think of is that all of my fat being thrown forward against muscles that really haven't had a lot asked of them in such a long time was just too much. They were just getting accustomed to me trying to suck them back in where they belong and here I go throwing all this weight at them from the other side.

I discovered today though, that I can still walk, smoke, read and suck on a throat lozenge all at the same time - I just can't walk and talk! Hmm, seems to me that is what I was doing the first time too.

Can anyone walk & talk?

13 comments:

Hilary said...

Oh, Reb.. that sounds painful. I'm sorry you're hurting and I sure hope you remain infection-free. I can walk and talk without difficulty but mostly when I talk, others walk.

Reb said...

Hilary, it was, it's much better now, but wow, yesterday was something else. The Dr. gave me antibiotics for the virus and some antibiotic cream for the scratches, so I should get through without too much trouble. Thanks.

gary rith said...

What an awful story! And where's your ticket to Baja I would like to know???

Leah J. Utas said...

Reb, Reb, Reb. I hope you're okay and everything sorts itself out properly.
For heaven's sake, and the sake of your pussycat, take care of yourself!

Reb said...

gr, I'd like to know where my ticket is too, especially after she left me the cold! Thanks for dropping by.

Leah, I know, you'd think I would learn!The Dr figured I had better have a tetanus shot this time.

Geosomin said...

Yes, but I fall up the stairs at least once a day.
Hope you're feeling better.

Reb said...

Geosomin, I am thanks. I do the stair trip too.

Jo said...

Oh poor you! And there I was whining about some stupid blisters! I'm glad you're okay, Reb. Hope you can take it easy over the weekend.

I get banged up pretty regularly b/c I walk, talk (sometimes to myself) & think about everything but where I'm going.

Reb said...

Jo, we all have our hurts. Your toes probably hurt more than my knees do now and well, the rest is back to normal(ish).

the Bag Lady said...

Glad to hear you are okay, sis. Good thing mom didn't name either one of us Grace...that would have just been too ironic.

Reb said...

Ain't that the truth!

Laura K. Curtis said...

Ouch, ouch, ouch. And simultaneously painful to the ego. I once tripped on an escalator in a mall--I think the pain of being seen was worse than the pain from the fall.

I know better than to attempt to walk and talk. If I have nothing in my hands, I can usually manage it, but if I am carrying anything--and by anything, I mean anything either hot, messy, dangerous or fragile--things will get ugly.

Penelope said...

I'm impressed: you can walk, smoke, read, and suck on a sore throat losenge-- all at the same time???

I can't even walk and chew gum at the same time.

Call me impressed.

-- Karen