2011-02-18

Photo Finish Friday - Merry-Go-Round


I have memories of playing on this type of merry-go-round as a child, but I only vaguely recall riding a carousel maybe once, no idea where or when. I don't think they came every year with the fair. We lived in a fairly remote location when I was a kid and the fair only had a few rides with it. By the time I was a teen, it had expanded (and the hwy had been paved) to include more rides, but by then I was too old - or cool, or something for the carousel ;)

Have a good weekend all!

PFF is the brainchild of Leah (my cousin!) over at The Goat's Lunch Pail 

15 comments:

Leah J. Utas said...

I love this photo, Reb. And may I say you bear a striking resemblance to Cindy-Lou Who.

Reb said...

LOL! Thanks Leah ;)

Hilary said...

Oh yes, I remember these well. You must have been hanging out at my playground. Very cute. :)

Reb said...

Thanks Hilary. You don't see a lot of these anymore, they used to be everywhere.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, we used to get sickly dizzy riding on those things! I'm sure they were deemed unsafe many years ago (which of course is why they were so fun).

No one is ever too old or too cool for a carousel.

messymimi said...

We still have one at the co-op playground, although it is smaller. The children still love it.

Reb said...

Karen, that is probably what happened to them and yes, they were.

Messymimi, glad to hear there are still some in use ;)

Scott Oglesby said...

I have great memories of those things as well. We used to do some ridiculously dangerous maneuvers; jumping off at full speed, only hanging on with our legs, etc.

So fun!

Reb said...

Scott, they were a lot of fun.

David Cranmer said...

We still have a working merry-go-round like this in the town where I grew up.

the Bag Lady said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
the Bag Lady said...

Ah yes, we used to have so much fun on those! Especially when big brother would come along to spin it for us while we hung on for dear life! (and this? "...and the hwy had been paved" made me guffaw!)

Reb said...

David, they are a lot of fun. There are probably some here too, I just haven't seen any for awhile.

Thanks Sis ;) Yes, our brothers made it more fun.

Barbara Martin said...

I remember these...I'd feel queasy if I didn't ride in the middle.

Reb said...

Barbara, yes, I know that feeling well!