2011-02-14

My Town Monday: West Edmonton Mall - Part III

If you haven't been boggled enough by Part I & Part II, here we go again. This is for the more active amongst us. West Edmonton Mall has an indoor waterpark, called oddly enough World Waterpark.

This tropical paradise boasts the world's largest indoor wave pool and tallest indoor permanent bungee tower, as well as more than 17 unique waterslides, ranging from beginner and intermediate to advanced and extreme, and play features.(From their website)

I have never been there. I love to swim, but I hate crowds and it is always crowded. Except when it's not open yet ;)   

click any photo to enlarge
 



It is on the south side of the complex, so gets natural daylight, but, only has the one viewing window, so the photos are a bit limited.

If you prefer skating, there is an Ice Palace too. NHL sized rink, that also gets plenty of natural daylight. 



I think that is Ringette the children are playing there.

On the second floor around the rink, are several tropical fish tanks, these are the best photos I could manage with the sun pouring in through the roof.




I will have to go back one day to see if I can get a better shot of some of these fish. They are so pretty, but, the reflections in the morning are intense.

Have a good day all.

For more MTM stop by the My Town Monday blog.

22 comments:

Leah J. Utas said...

WEM is so extreme. Love your fish shots.

the Bag Lady said...

Great shots, sis!
Happy Valentine's Day.

Hilary said...

I quite like that rink and think it would be fun to skate there but I'd feel really funny about swimming at a mall.

Reb said...

That it is Leah! Thanks.

Thanks Sis, you too!

Hilary, the skating would be fine, but yeah, the swimming, not so much.

messymimi said...

Amazing, thanks for sharing.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Reb said...

Messymimi, it is overwhelming. Thanks.

Barrie said...

That is incredible! My children would love to spend time (lots of time) at this mall!

Travis Erwin said...

I've seen this mall on the travel channel. Very cool indeed.

Reb said...

Barrie, I am sure they would love it!

Travis, it is quite the place.

solarity said...

Even for the sake of the palm trees I would not brave the crowds.
Palms. Alberta. Does Not Compute.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Reb said...

Mary Anne, you are so right ;)

Scott Oglesby said...

I’m more and more amazed every time I see these posts. You have an indoor beachy/pooly thing? And indoor ice-skating rink? That thing is not a mall it’s an autonomous nation!

Dawn said...

Your mall sounds an entertaining spot. Fish swimming there is fine but you're not going to catch me in there.

Reb said...

Scott, it certainly tries to be ;)

Dawn, I'm with you on that!

Fortune Cookies said...

I've seen malls with skating rinks, and malls with ferris wheels, but I've never seen a mall with a swimming pool! Not sure how comfortable I'd be jumping into that pool...public pools gross me out!

Reb said...

Angie, especially with the really big viewing window!

Frank Baron said...

Thanks for the tour, Reb. I'd heard of the wondrous West Edmonton Mall of course, but hadn't been there or seen many pics.

If I ever get over there, I do believe I'd be agog - like when in Toronto with all those real tall buildings everywhere.

Reb said...

Frank, it is quite the mall. If you visit, I might be persuaded to tour you around the mall - small bills though, okay?

Dianne said...

wow!!
that place is huge
and here I thought Olympic stadium in Montreal was amazing

Reb said...

Dianne, it is a bit over the top ;)

Anonymous said...

This is amazing! I've seen skating rinks at malls (there's one in Portland, Oregon) but never a waterpark. How would you ever tell you kids "no" if you went to this place? I'd have to keep the existence of WEM a total secret until the kids were teenagers!

Reb said...

Karen, it's big enough to never let them see it ;)