2011-02-06

My Town Monday: West Edmonton Mall - Part II

Last week, I gave you a bit of an overview of WEM. One of the areas in which to lose you children, or your life or yourselves is Galxyland. It is a theme park within the mall... it has 23 rides and play areas and the world's largest indoor triple-loop roller coaster called the Mindbender.  It was originally named Fantasyland, but then Disney caught wind of it and the name was changed after a big legal battle.

Here are a few photos of the rides inside - click any photo to enlarge.

Side shot of a balloon Ferris wheel

The Mindbender

Another roller coaster that runs throughout the area



Not the shooting gallery I mentioned in the previous post ;)

Roller coaster for the little kids

Twister

The swing was always my favourite ...

after the carousel of course ;)

I am not sure of the names of all the rides and I didn't take photos of all of them either. There is a haunted house area, a little ground train that runs through the area, a theatre, an area for video games and oh, just so many more.

Have a good day all. 

To enjoy more MTM, drop by the MTM blog.

12 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

Cool! I had no idea they had so many rides in there! (I love the carousel the best, too!)

Hilary said...

So colourful and animated in there. I love amusement parks. An indoor one would be so different. Great photos, Reb.

Reb said...

Sis, neither did I. The last time I was near there they just had the Mindbender. It costs money to go in and I lucked out by being there before opening :)

Hilary, there was so much to see. Sadly, by the time I got there, I was exhausted and just wanted to leave. I was a bit shaky too, so they are not as sharp as they could be ;)

Leah J. Utas said...

Haven't been to the amusements since the mind-eighties. Was on the Mindbender once. So weird to find this amusement park in a mall.
Good pics.

messymimi said...

As a veteran of losing children -- who have all managed to be found again, by the way -- i have to agree. Mine would get lost there. On purpose. So they wouldn't have to leave.

debra said...

Shopping as entertainment, with rides to prove it. It always seems strange to me. Great photos, Reb.

Dianne said...

it must be fun to wander thru there
love your photos, you got some great angles

Reb said...

Thanks Leah. I don't think I've ever been on a roller coaster and seriously can't remember the last time I was on any ride.

Messymimi, just think of the fun they'd have though ;)

Thanks Debra. It is a bit overwhelming the first time through there... and the second and the third ;)

Dianne, thanks. It was great this time as I was there early enough to avoid most of the people ;)

Scott Oglesby said...

Ok, that can no long be called a mall. It should be called a municipality, or city, or even a Consumer State. That’s just crazy.

I love the sacrifice you endured to bring us the fabulous pics Reb!!

Reb said...

Oh wait for it Scott... it gets better! Thanks ;)

Barbara Martin said...

The carousel is my speed for a ride. Nice photos.

Reb said...

Thanks Barbara!