2011-02-25

Photo Finish Friday - Bourbon Street - Alberta Style

In the last little section of WEM, they seem to be slowly getting rid of the traces of the original concept, but there are still a few to be found. Click to enlarge.





There used to be little balconies above most of the store each with mannequins, some were jazz musicians, some were just party goers, there were the little joker sconce/hand things everywhere and there were more of the masked faces. I suppose though that each chain has to conform to the rest of the stores, so there went the balconies and masks...I assume in the reno that is going on they will rename it and get rid of the rest of the the iron works and lamps.

Have a good weekend all.

Pff is the brainchild of Leah over at The Goat's Lunch Pail.

11 comments:

Leah J. Utas said...

I kind of enjoyed Bourbon Street in its heyday, fake though it be.
Good pics.

the Bag Lady said...

I discovered (when I went for my seminar) that the balconies and windows are still there, but they have built a floor/roof between the two levels! And I finally know what's behind all those balconies and windows..... but they swore us to secrecy! LOL

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Well, I see in the pictures that they have a Hooters, so they can't totally get rid of Bourbon Street (aka, the street in N.O. where I had to shield my children's eyes, even in broad daylight).

Reb said...

Leah, it was kind of fun to see.

Sis, I think that was Europa Blvd ;)

Karen, ha, yes, I knew we had one, just never knew where it was ;)

Hilary said...

If it keeps evolving, you can bring us back photographically in another few years and it will be a whole new place.

messymimi said...

Yes, you don't take kids to Bourbon Street (i grew up in the Greater New Orleans area, and knew where not to go).

Any ideas what theme will be next to strike their fancy?

Reb said...

Hilary, once a decade should about do me in ;)

Messymimi, this one was fun and fairly tame until Hooters moved in. No idea what they have planned.

Dawn said...

Interesting place. Shame that all the original decor is being pulled out in the name of conformity.

Reb said...

Dawn, yes, it is a shame. But I suppose everything has to evolve or die.

Travis Erwin said...

I'd love to have some of that iron work to decorate with.

Reb said...

Travis, you and me both ;)