2011-02-21

My Town Monday: West Edmonton Mall - Part IV

I have saved what I think is the best part of WEM for last ;)  If you have missed the other posts you can find them here: Part I, II, III. The Lagoon is the world's largest (again) indoor lake. It is home to the Santa Maria - well, a replica anyway; Deep Sea Derby (water bumper cars); and Marine Life, an underground aquarium. You used to be able to ride around the lagoon in the submarines, but they seem to no longer be using them.

Click on any photo to enlarge.

 The Santa Maria


 At Christmas it gets stuffed with toys for the underprivileged children of the area.

 You can also rent it for parties


 The exhibit area for the Sea Lions (formerly for dolphins)
and one of the submarines

 The bumper boats & entrance to the aquarium on the right


A very long shot into the cavern area where they were feeding the seals, or brushing their teeth? (the ropes are from the bridge in the photo above)


Well, those are the highlights of North Americas largest mall. I was taking these photos in the early morning, so there were very few people about and nothing was open yet, except the coffee shops. It took about two hours, to walk the mall, mostly from the second floor with small ventures down to the ground floor. 

People can spend two or three days there trying to see & do everything there is to see & do. People get lost in the mall and in the parking lot, so write down where you parked and the entrance number you came in...then find a map to carry with you if you come to visit.

I hope you enjoyed your virtual tour ;) Have a good day all.

For more MTM, drop by the blog.

18 comments:

David Cranmer said...

I would enjoy wandering around The Santa Maria. And throwing a party would be cool.

messymimi said...

Yes, i would very much enjoy such a visit, and thank you for the virtual tour.

#2 Son would love to have a party on the ship, but i think Canada would never forgive us.

solarity said...

The Santa Maria is definitely the highlight. I'm not much for having parties away from home, but that would be worth the trouble.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Hilary said...

Oh that would be fun to party on that ship.. what a great idea. This was a fine series, Reb. Thanks for taking us to the mall with you.

Leah J. Utas said...

Reb, best trip to the mall ever. Thanks.

Jay said...

If I lived there I would be hanging out around the WEM a lot. It looks like a very cool place.

Reb said...

Sadly David, you can only go on the ship if you are having a party, or I think a school trip.

Messymimi, thanks. glad you enjoyed.

Mary Anne, it is very cool. I think it would be worth it ;)

Hilary, glad to have you along.

Leah, that is the best way to go to the mall ;)

Jay, it is a very cool place... but, I hate crowds so don't go there often.

Barrie said...

That is incredible! And all inside! Oh, I got you link, BTW.

Knight said...

What a cool place. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Reb said...

Thanks Barrie. Yes, you never have to breather fresh air ;)

Knight it is a shoppers paradise.

the Bag Lady said...

Great series, sis! The ship is my favourite part of the WEM... glad you saved the best for last.

Reb said...

Thanks Sis. I usually do ;)

Anonymous said...

This series has been wonderful. I had no idea the WEM was anything like that! (I've never been to the Mall of the Americas, but I suspect they have a lot in common.)
And yes, you definitely saved the best for last! :)

I don't like crowds, either, so I am glad you took us there early in the day. :)

Reb said...

Thanks Karen. I think the Mall of the Americas had hopes of beating us on size, but didn't quite make it ;)

Dianne said...

a party on that ship would be fabulous!!
I adore sea lions
they're like giant puppies
I used to visit San Francisco a lot and I'd go to the wharf to visit the sea lions

Reb said...

Dianne, it would be a lot of fun.

Fortune Cookies said...

I want to have a party on the Santa Maria!

Reb said...

Angela, it sounds like we might have to have a blog party there ;)