2008-08-03

MTM: Edmonton's River Valley

Edmonton's River Valley

The North Saskatchewan River flows through Edmonton from the Southwest corner to the Northeast corner. We are not your typical river city though, we don't have miles of docks or even any river traffic. In fact, we have one stern wheeler called the Edmonton Queen that runs dinner and special events cruises on the river. Other than that, there are canoes and a few motored boats and we have Dragon Boat races yearly as well as the Sourdough Raft race.


The Edmonton Queen

Along our river valley you will find parks, trails, more parks, wildlife, more trails and some more parks. About 25 kilometres worth (15.5 miles). Within the 22 major parks, you will find 11 lakes, in the winter these are used for skating. There are 14 ravines that run to the river valley.

Not only does Edmonton over do it with Festivals, we over do it with parks and trails. Um, no! We don't overdo anything! (Well, except maybe expanding our city limits) Edmonton, has in fact the longest continuous stretch of urban parkland in North America.


Looking South across the river at dusk.

We have several golf courses, which, with our long summer sunshine hours are very well used. We have two ski hills right in the city limits and two just outside. The trails are mostly paved, or maintained gravel. They are used by walkers, joggers, bicyclists, skateboarders, and in winter by snowshoer's and cross country skiers. There are even trails that horses are allowed on (yes, we have stables in the river valley).


Looking over the High Level Bridge waterfall.

As for wildlife, there are porcupines, deer, coyotes, bears, skunks, muskrats, rabbits, and beavers. Some of these will make their way into the populated areas of the city and have to be removed. There have been coyotes at night in the winter, right here in my apartment complexes backyard, hunting the rabbits that make this their home. I am only about 3 kilometers (about 2 miles) from the nearest ravine.

So, has this whetted your appetite for more information about my city? I sure hope so. I will be telling you more about individual parks in future posts and hopefully providing better photos as well.


Have a good day all.


P.S. My Town Monday is the brainchild of Travis Erwin, check out his site for links to other posts.

23 comments:

Jay said...

It's very scenic there. That post was like a travel brochure.

Reb said...

Thanks Jay. I often forget what a pretty city I live in.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Looks and sounds lovely!

Reb said...

Thanks BG! Our river valley is wonderful.

gary rith said...

wowee! The thing surprises and American, of course, is how darn far north Edmonton is---waaaayy up there! Must be the largest city of its kind in the far north.

Crabby McSlacker said...

I LOVE it when well-designed urban areas put in plenty of parks and greenery. Way to go, Edmonton!

the Bag Lady said...

Great post, sis! Edmonton does a good job of making the city an attractive place to live and/or visit!

Leah J. Utas said...

Excellent post/brochure. I give Edmonton this, it is big on green spaces.
I'm looking forward to more.

Travis Erwin said...

Yes, the appetite is whetted. Nice post.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Reb,

What a gorgeous city and i am ready for the Sourdough Raft Race.

Terrie

Barbara Martin said...

Reb, are those pioneer houses near the Low Level Bridge on the south side on the flood plain still there? There was a white storey and half house with a black watermark painted on it the year the North Saskatchewan River flooded its banks.

Reb said...

Gary, we are not that far North! Sheesh! Yes, we are the furthest north of the large cities in North America. Of course, there are a few further north in Europe.

Crabby, the city has done a very good job of making use of the river valley.

Thanks Sis, yes, it does.

Thanks Cousin! It does that, now if we could only convince them to build up not out.

Thanks Travis. Great, way to put pressure on myself! :}

Terrie - damn, I missed that one. Do you think you can wait a year? That is why the waterfall was running the day I got that shot.

Barbara, I think I know the ones you mean and yes, they are still there.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Although we made it to Vancouver a few years ago, not Edmonton. Looks lovely.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Although we made it to Vancouver a few years ago, not Edmonton. Looks lovely.

Reb said...

Thanks Patti. It is best to come in summer, unless you like snow and cold.

David Cranmer said...

I've never been there and if I was independently wealthy, I would be on the next plane! Wonderful pictures.

debra said...

Edmonton sounds like a great place, Reb. The sourdough race intrigues me.....

WordVixen said...

Lovely! A great mix of city convenience, and natural surroundings. I wish there were more cities like that.

Reb said...

Thanks David. We'll see you when you win the lotto then? ;) Thanks for dropping by.

Debra, it is a great place. I haven't been to the sourdough race in a few years, I will make a point of it next year though. They make the most amazing things float!

Wordvixen, the only thing I could wish for is better transit, but they are working on that too. Thanks for stopping by.

Hilary said...

Great tour and shots, Reb. My cousin lived in Edmonton for a number of years before settling near me. She loved the at-home feel of a small town city with its community events. I can see why.

Reb said...

Thanks Hilary. I think that's why I like it - it reminds me of where I grew up, but has the anonymity of a big city.

Penelope said...

Edmonton is beautiful.

I'm now putting it on my list of places to visit.

BTW: Are your ears burning??? Penelope dropped your name over on her blog today.

Karen

Reb said...

Penelope thanks, yes, it is a great place to visit. I'll pop over right away.