2008-01-24

Oh Soooo Close!

I am looking at cars, cheap cars, under $1200.00 cheap cars. As I was perusing the for sale ads on-line the other night I came across an ad too good to be true. I read the ad, my he sounds serious! Here is the gist of the ad:

2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse - FREE - Yes, you read that right FREE. I bought this car for that cheating B---h that I married. It was her dream car and now the S--T can't have it! Call between 7.00 AM & 7.00 PM First call takes it.

What I wonder is, WHERE THE HELL WAS I at 5.00 when he first put the ad up? I didn't see it until well after 7.00 PM, but that is a $26.000.00 car! Base price! Even if it were a standard, I could drive it, I would hate it, but I could drive it.

Of course you would be stupid to believe that he wouldn't change his mind, or sober up or the wife would shake her thang and they would want it back. I mean yes, you would get a proper bill of sale and in order to register or insure, you have to buy it for at least a dollar. But oh, to dream for just a few minutes! Needless to say the ad was gone in the morning, like it had been a figment of my imagination.

So, I am back to tying to find the cheapest, newest, best overall condition car I can. This could take awhile.

Good afternoon all.

16 comments:

Hilary said...

If he did indeed mean it, I'm sure it was claimed by the person who took his ad at the newspaper.

Happy hunting.

Reb said...

It was just an on-line site, so it would have been the first person to read it and believe him. Oh well, I am sure the right car is out there somewhere.

Leah J. Utas said...

If it was real it was a total spur of the moment idea that likely did not pan out for any caller.
I read about these from time to time. Usually the version is they're getting divorced and have to split the proceeds of certain items so she sells his luxury car for $50.
Cool to see such an ad in the wild, though.

Best of luck with the hunt. I am sure there's one out there waiting for you to find it and give it a good home.

Reb said...

Yes, I could hardly believe my eyes! You don't see urban legends locally that often.

the Bag Lady said...

Goin' thru' the big D and I don't mean Dallas...
Probably just as well not to get embroiled in THAT situation - can't see it turning out well for anyone!!
Good luck with the hunt.

Reb said...

That's for sure. Thanks - uh, if you happen to hear of any up there? Give me call 'kay?

the Bag Lady said...

Certainly will!

Crabby McSlacker said...

Too bad!

We have a home gym we didn't want to have disassembled, reassembled, and moved cross country so we offered it for free on Craigslist (do they have that up where you are?) to anyone who was willling to take it apart and haul it away.

Must have gotten a hundred responses in the hour or so before we took the ad back off. So if the car was for real--it wouldn't last long!

Reb said...

Crabby, yes we have Craigslist here, this was a site very similar in concept called Kijiji. I got my kitchen chairs for free from it!

Jo said...

I actually knew a mechanic who got a vintage Jaguar for $1 from a very pissed off woman who's husband had traded her in for a younger model...so sometimes it really does happen---but I think I have a better chance of being struck by lightning LOL Good luck with your hunt!

Reb said...

Ain't that the truth! Thanks for stopping by Jo.

Frank Baron said...

Happy hunting. Hope you find a good one. :)

Penelope said...

I sold my old car to my brother recently well under its value just so I wouldn't have to hassle with selling it.

Anyway, good luck with that. My advice is find a Honda Civic-- supposodly they last forever.

Karen

Reb said...

Frank, Penelope, thanks, I think I will need all the good wishes I can get in order to find a good one.

Tink said...

You mean you didn't call him to find out?! I've never spent over $1,500 for a car. True, that means I have little to no say over what KIND of car I end up with, but so far the plan of not spending over said amount has worked out really well. You'll find a good deal. Keep looking. :)

Reb said...

Thanks Tink. Up here in Canada car prices are outrageous - $1500.00 for a '86 car with a seized motor? $2000.00 for a vehicle with no transmission? I wish I were joking, but thanks for the good wishes.