2009-04-19

MTM: Road Trip to Bragg Creek

We took a little road trip last (Easter) Sunday down to Bragg Creek and, well, I can't resist taking pictures ;) Now, I must admit I have not got a lot of knowledge about the area around Bragg Creek, I have only been there by the good nature of my friends, so I see what they want to see and don't get much chance to explore. Frankly, I am just happy to get out of the city and close to the mountains. Click to enlarge on any photo.






These next few were taken from many miles away on Hwy 22 after lunch in Olds.



















































Once in Bragg Creek, the trick is to find parking.












As you can see the little shopping centre (the reason to go there) parking area is packed, most of it is given over to bikers. Sadly our favourite little shop is now history. The replacement is not as exciting, so I don't imagine we will be back any time soon,









Some kind person picked up this fallen nest, I don't imagine it will ever be used again though.










After a wander through the shops, we headed a bit further south, that is until the hwy was closed to traffic. We stopped and took a chance to stretch and take photos. We were looking for an alternate route home, but that ended rather abruptly. I also think we would have run out of road looking at the map anyway.








It gave us an opportunity to stop in at the Provincial park at Bragg Creek and take some more photos. (Yes, there is a person reading on the picnic table there - there were lots of people picnicking)





















Then we were able to stop and get a good shot of the creek in melt.













And learn a bit about the area.













On the way back we stopped to get a photo of the hoodoos and if you enlarge, you can see a hawk or eagle on the tree at the top of the hill. Sadly, he had a bit to much to drink and is blurry.









The setting sun as we near home.












On a clear day in Alberta you can see forever!
Same stop as the above photo.











Just about home (12 hours later) and the sun and clouds were conspiring to make super essess!











Here is a map of the trip. We wound up going back the same way as we got a bit of a late start. I hope you enjoyed our trip almost to the mountains. The deer and goats and birds we saw were just too fast for me to capture from a moving vehicle this trip.




View Bragg Creek Day trip in a larger map

MTM is the creation of Travis Erwin, drop by and visit other blogs from around the world.

Have a good day all.

23 comments:

dyanna said...

I like your blog.I'm waiting for your new posts.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Reb! Thank you so much for the photographs of the western mountains! You can go ahead and post them again for me tomorrow as my "home" entry for the WWC. I very much miss REAL mountains, the kind that stay covered in snow much of the year (or even year-round).

What a lovely trip you had!
Sorry about the loss of your favorite shop.

Leah J. Utas said...

What was your favourite shop?
Thanks for the journey down #22. I always loved that trip.
Great pics of the mountains and the melt. Well done again.
Shame the *drift* took over the parking lot.

*drift is the collective term for a bunch of hogs.

the Bag Lady said...

Oh, what a great trip! Wish I had been along with you. This post was the next best thing, though! Thanks!

Jay said...

I love road trips. The scenery there is just gorgeous! I love the mountains. So beautiful!

Reb said...

Dyanna, thanks. Nice of you to drop by.

Kcinnova, thanks. I love these mountains so much!

Leah, the drift is there every weekend. I can't remember the name, but the shop owner had unique things and "Jody Bergsma" art which is wonderful. http://artwithheart.wordpress.com/

Sis, next time you leave the farm, we can take a trip down there ;)

Jay, thanks. I might be a bit biased, but I think we have the best mountains.

Travis Erwin said...

Stunning scenery.

Reb said...

Thanks Travis.

g-man said...

I really like the mountains and the nest pictures. Way cool. (Also the "Floral" from the last post :)

Who knew that parking would be such an issue?

Dianne said...

I love road trips!!

the mountains are majestic and I love the photos of the creek

Reb said...

G-man, Thanks. It is not a big lot to start with, but the bikes come and take over anywhere from 1/4 - 1/2 of the lot. It is a good ride out from Calgary.

Dianne, thanks. Road trips are the best!

Hilary said...

Oh nice! Looks like you had a great road trip and your photos reflect that perfectly. Such a nice variety of shots. Those mountains are incredible!

Reb said...

Thanks Hilary. You will have to come and see these mountains for yourself one day!

yellowdoggranny said...

wow...that is beautiful..I've always wanted to visit canada again..drove through from vancouver to the border of alaska back in 1969...no paved roads to speak of..ha..but was truly beautiful...

Cloudia said...

Just lovely!
aloha from Hawaii

Dawn said...

Ahhh - I've missed your stunning photos Reb. I'm going to visit you all one day.

Reb said...

Yellowdog Granny, they are all paved now, maybe it is time to do it again?

Cloudia, thanks!

Dawn, thanks, look forward to seeing you!

Linda McLaughlin said...

Reb, it sounds like a great day outing and your photos are beautiful.

Reb said...

Thanks Linda, it was wonderful.

Frank Baron said...

As a youngster, in my teens and twenties, I hitchhiked all over heck's half-acre, including through Calgary and Edmonton. Nowadays though, I mostly slake my traveler's thirst by (virtually) accompanying folks on their tours.

Thanks for letting me hitch an enjoyable ride with you, Reb. :)

Reb said...

Any time Frank, glad you enjoyed.

Barbara Martin said...

Very nice trip down the 22, Reb. Great photos of the spring melt.

Reb said...

Thanks Barbara, I like the secondary hwys.