2008-04-17

Experiment

As some of you know, I am a breast cancer survivor. During the treatment, I took pictures of my lack of hair and the sparse growth and so on, with my really crappy web cam. (It has since gone to a very nice home at the eco-centre.) However, I have been playing with the pictures and since I got a proper camera have taken a photo of myself. This is rare, because I do not like to take pictures of myself, but as part of the learning about the camera, it had to be done. Besides, an Aunt wants a recent picture.

Then lo and behold, my sister The Bag Lady got tagged the other day to do a meme whereby "you describe your life with 6 words, or a photo or cartoon, then tag 6 other people". Well, she didn't tag anyone, she left it open and I thought, well, maybe I should put this composition out for people to have a look at. It only describes the most recent period of my life, but there it is.



So, there I am, from bald to now! Like Sis, I will not tag anyone, but if you feel like playing go right ahead.

Good afternoon.

14 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

WAY COOL!!!! How'd you do that? That is a very interesting composition, sis. (actually, you looked pretty good bald - nice shape to your head.)

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Interesting montage, and cool idea!

Reb said...

Thanks Sis, I used Photoshop, many, many steps. I'll show you one day when you are here.

BG, thanks.

Frank Baron said...

Nifty composition Reb and good on you for sharing the pics. But frankly, you look better with the hair, so you might just as well stay healthy. ;)

Leah J. Utas said...

What a wonderful idea and so very well executed. Good for you.

Hilary said...

You did a great job Reb. I love the idea and the look. Very well done.

I remember now that you asked me about how I did that duck image in PS a few posts back. I was supposed to let you know, and then I forgot about it. So here goes.

I had an out-of-focus image which I brought into Photoshop. I gave it a high contrast (Image, Adjustments, Brightness/Contrast). Then I went to Filters, scrolled down to Render and clicked on Difference Clouds. Then back to Image-Adjustments-Hue/Saturation and played around with the Hue and Lightness till I had an effect that I wanted.

I'm using Photoshop CS2 so if you have a newer or older version, the menus may vary.

Reb said...

Thanks Frank, I think I will do my best to do that.

Leah, thanks for that.

Hilary, thanks. I have a very old copy of Photoshop and mostly have just tried to clean up photos on it. This is the first time I have played to this extent and been satisfied (and I just discovered the difference clouds).

Emily said...

What a beautiful composition- I agree with the bag lady, you pulled off the bald look very well.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Wow.

That's just so well-executed and moving and says so much!

I'm really impressed--that's like art gallery kind of imagery. Quite powerful.

I'm still trying to figure out how to turn my camera on and off!

Jo said...

I love what you did with those photos, Reb...so creative, and moving too.

Photoshop is one of my favorite toys :)

Reb said...

Emily, why thank you. It is actually very freeing.

Crabby, thank you. That is very kind of you to say that.

Jo, that means so much to me, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Perfume, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://perfumes-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Tink said...

That is just awesome. What a beautiful and touching collage.

Reb said...

Thanks Tink.