2009-11-06

I'm still alive :)

I hate shopping, especially for clothes. Still, it is something that needs to be done and I went the other evening with my friends in search of a new pair of jeans or two. The few decent pairs I have now, either are too tight, or are fine for the first 5 minutes, then I spend the rest of the time pulling them and my underwear back up.

I picked up one pair that are flannel lined for when I am waiting for the bus this coming winter.  Of the slippery pairs I own, I managed to find a pair very similar to the pair I like best in the store & tried them on. Too big in the size I picked and from the evidence of the other pair, they will stretch and fall down too. Try the next size down.

The next size down, was the most unattractive fit I have ever encountered. Yet, they were the same style, should have been exactly the same cut, just a bit smaller. Well, they were a lot smaller in the seam that goes under the crotch, you know - the one that gives camel toe.

I had always assumed that women with that problem were wearing pants they had out grown, or that had shrunk, I was unaware that you could purchase it directly off the shelf!  I went out to show my friends and they got these looks on their faces...when I turned and looked in the mirror - all I could think of was something I had read a few days earlier "excuse me, I think your camel toe just spit on my shoes".  Sadly I can't remember where I read that to give credit where it is due, but it started me laughing and I couldn't even explain why.

I did find another pair that fits and hopefully will still fit after washing. I do hate shopping so much.

Have a good weekend all.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate shopping, too, Reb.
See, it isn't us, it's the clothes that are at fault! LOL

I'm so far behind now I might not catch up until Thanksgiving. I'm actually GRATEFUL that some people (like your lovely self) don't post every day. It makes it easier to catch up. (What is it about me that doesn't let me skip posts??)

the Bag Lady said...

Glad to hear you are still alive, and that you decided against wearing pants that spit on other people's shoes.....
(that cracked me up, too!)

I don't hate shopping as much as I hate trying on clothes, which is why I have a closet full of clothes that don't fit (I wouldn't take the time to try them on and usually shop the sales where you can't take them back. Sigh)

Leah J. Utas said...

Oh, I hear you. Don't care to shop, but have had to. No idea what size I am esp. now with spandex in everything. Kcinnova is right. It's them, not us.

Reb said...

Kcinnova, I am sure you are right. It can't be that our bodies just don't fit into that zero mentality the designers have, er, size zero I mean ;)

Sis, at least you have a vehicle to go back to the store with. I just can't afford not to try on these days.

Leah, that is part of the problem, on the other hand, it makes some clothes more comfortable.

solarity said...

I hate shopping, too, for everything but books. And fabric. I hate sewing, but I slog through it because I like the results.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Reb said...

Oh...books! I can't afford to shop for books these days, but I can spend hours in a book store.

messymimi said...

Clothes shopping is awful.

Sometimes two of the exact same item in the same size fit differently; if you check the labels, they were made in different countries!

The same goes for shoes, sorry to say. Sometimes left shoes are made in one factory, right shoes in another, and even in different countries.

Scott Oglesby said...

I actually don’t mind shopping, but I can’t do it all here. Not unless I want blue farmers pants or really cheap shirts with really bad English printed on them. I do save a ton of money, until I go to London or Paris, and then I blow it all. But that’s fun!

Reb said...

Messsymimi, shoes are even worse! I have a narrow foot and hardly any one makes narrow shoes, let alone carries them anymore.

Scott, it is bit different for you men. Women must all fall into the same shape, the Barbie syndrome. Unless you can afford couture.

BSOB said...

im leaving florence italy in two days - probably the most fashionable city in existence - i think you might change your mind if shopping somewhere like here. i havent been able to buy anything cause eating is slightly more important, but a future shopping trip is a must. almost started drooling in front of a hand made glove shop the other day. took some photos i'll prob post.

cool photo on the top of your blog also

Reb said...

Ben, if I could afford to shop in Italy, I would then have to be thin enough :)

Hilary said...

Hmmm the world is flip-flopping. Your male commenters indicate they like shopping and your females much less so. I'm with the women.. used to love it but not since clothes are made to fit Barbie.

Dianne said...

I hate shoping as well!!

and it always amazes me how one size can be so so too big and the very next size of the very same article can be so off

I curse and mutter a lot when I shop

makes me want to drink wine and eat chocolate

Reb said...

Hilary, you are right...I never thought I would live to see the day ;)

Dianne, I know the feeling!

Crabby McSlacker said...

Too funny!

I'm with you on the hating-shopping thing. I've never understood why most women seem to love it so much.

Reb said...

Crabby, I never liked it when I was thin and clothes fit.